Monday, March 14, 2011

Opinions.

I find it really hard to discuss 'love' and my relationship with a lot of my friends; those in a relationship themselves and those that are not. I feel like, because they're not Trent and I, they don't know what we're going through or how we understand each other. I either feel like they're too naive or not developed enough to comprehend it on an emotional level. I don't know if that's a selfish feeling on my end, or if it really is how things are. I don't know. I really don't know if I'm a bad person for thinking this way.

I think couples that "never fight" aren't being honest with each other. C'mon, you never disagree on anything? That's bull. I have a lot of best friends and we still disagree on things. If you're not disagreeing on some things, one of you isn't be honest. And that's not love and being "soul-mates"; that's just lying so you don't get into a fight. Yeah - I have jealousy issues, and yes Trent has his problems as well, but we're open about them and talk about them. That's what makes you a great couple.

Talking about your flaws and trying to figure out what you can do to help each other fix them. It means sometimes breaking out of the box and throwing away the rulebook, knowing things may take years to fix, but you want to help them and you don't give up. I know we may not end up together in the end. I know the last 7 months of our relationship hasn't been near as amazing as the first year, but guess what? The 'Honeymoon' stage ends people, and you have to wake up and face each other for the type of people you really are.

What I'm saying is, you're not 'in love' because you've never gotten in a fight and you complete each other sentences and all that jazz... wait til you get into a fight, then see how you come out of it. If you last, that's love. If you're being honest and truthful to yourself, that's love. If you're willing to help each other improve themselves will no reward in the end, that's love. It's something you have to work at every day.

2 comments:

  1. For Josh and I the Honeymoon phase ended about a week after we started dating :) And now we're good! Fighting (to an extent) is healthy in my opinion. So good job for being mature enough to realize that.

    ReplyDelete